clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Hibs see off sloppy Gers

Hibs 3-2 Rangers match report and reaction.

Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

Goals from Jason Holt and Barrie McKay weren't enough to stop Rangers falling to a 3-2 defeat at Easter Road in the Championship.

Hibs rushed into an early lead when Jason Cummings capitalised on some woeful defending after just four minutes.Not long afterwards, an absolute howler by Wes Foderingham led to third-placed Hibs doubling their lead. A cross from Stokes on the right of the pitch was allowed to squirm trough the hands of the Gers 'keeper and into the net to flatten the mood of the thousands of bluenoses who had went to Leith expecting a party.

A goalkeeping error from Hibs' Mark Oxley gifted Jason Holt a tap-in a few minutes before the break to give some hope to the travelling fans. Rangers had looked sluggish and tired after the previous week's exertions and several key players had turned in poor performances in the first half.

The second half began and Hibs didn't take long to re-establish their two goal advantage. The Rangers defence failed to deal with a corner and Gunnarrson had all the time in the World to fire his shot beyond Foderingham and make it 3-1.

Rangers pushed for an equaliser and grabbed a second with less than ten minutes to go. Barrie McKay with another fantastic strike from distance which left Oxley helpless. (Click here to view it)

As time ran out Rangers continued to press their hosts but couldn't find a way through the Hibs defence. The final whistle was greeted by massive cheers as Stubbs' side chase Falkirk in second place. A fairly poor performance from the Championship winners and the fans will be expectant on Saturday lunchtime when they take on Alloa before being awarded the league trophy.

Rangers: Foderingham; Tavernier, Kiernan, Wilson, Wallace; Ball (Zelalem 61'), Halliday, Holt; O'Halloran (King 61'), McKay, Miller (Shiels 77').

Unused subs: McRorie, Law, Clark, Burt.

Goals: Holt 41', McKay 85'