clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Rangers U20s see off determined Caley

Graeme Murty’s team impressive against Highlanders as own goal and Liam Burt strike separate sides

James Black

Both sides started the game looking to gain an early advantage and it was Inverness who had a couple of decent early chances with Andrew MacRae’s strike forcing a good save from Robbie McCrorie before Jamie Wilson fired a free-kick against the wall a few minutes later.

New boy Amin Bouzaig had Rangers’ first real chance in 9 minutes when Josh Jeffries fed him in behind the Inverness defence but the signing from Puerto Malaneugo could only pull his shot wide.

Ryan Sinnamon was the next player in light blue to try his luck at goal when his long range strike had Daniel Hoban scrambling across the Caley goalmouth only to watch it sail narrowly over the bar.

Inverness had a golden opportunity on 22 minutes when Kyle Bradley gave the ball straight to Inverness’ Andrew MacRae but Robbie McCrorie done well to hold on to his shot.

Rangers took a deserved lead on the 29th minute when Chris Brown scored past his own keeper. Ross McCrorie was played in behind the Inverness defence and his low cross from the right came off the unfortunate Inverness defender and into the back of the net.

The remaining 15 minutes of the first half were played at Rangers’ leisure and the young Gers really should have made it 2-0 when Amin Bouzaig and Ross Lyon broke wuickly just before the break. Bouzaig drove quickly through the centre of the park before feeding Lyon with a delightfully weighted pass. Lyon was left one-one-one with Hoban but could only shoot straight at the Caley keeper.

Inverness equalised five minutes into the second half when Keir Smith rolled the ball into an empty net after Robby McCrorie was dispossessed inside his own six-yard box by Macrae and Smith just had to roll the ball into an empty net.

Rangers had TWO penalty shouts in the space of seconds when Jordan Gibson showed remarkable strength and determination to break past several Caley players before being fouled in the box twice as he was set to shoot.. Referee Lorraine Clark didn’t see either and awarded a goal-kick to the visitors.

It didn’t take long before Rangers were back in the ascendancy when Liam Burt scored on 58 minutes. A driving run down the right-hand side wasn’t dealt with by the Caley defence. Burt tried his luck from an acute angle only for Hoban to block his strike before Burt poked home the rebound.

Liam Burt had two great opportunites in the space of two minutes as Rangers looked to kill the tie off. Burt started the game quietly however really impressed in the second half after being moved wide on the left to accommodate Ursene Mouanda

Caley’s Daniel Hoban made a fantastic save from Ryan Sinnamon’s volley to keep Caley in the game with only ten minutes left. Jamie Barjonas’ angled ball to Amin Bouzaig found it’s way to Sinnamon before he unleased a fantastic, goal-bound, volley which Hoban tipped over his crossbar.

Caley tried to desperately get back into the game as the minutes ticked away but they never really troubled Robby McCrorie and the young Gers were able to see out the result for their second consecutive Development League win.

Rangers: Robby McCrorie, Ross McCrorie, Ryan Sinnamon, Max Ashmore, Aidan Wilson, Kyle Bradley, Josh Jeffries (Andy Dallas 65’), Liam Burt, Amin Bouzaig, Jordan Gibson (Jamie Barjonas 75’), Ross Lyon (Ursene Mouanda 46’)

Subs: Kieran Wright, Lewis White,, Sam Jamieson

Goals: Brown (og) 29’, Burt 58’

Inverness CT: Daniel Hoban, Chris Brown, Stephen Rennie, Alasdair Stark, Ryan McRitchie, Blair Maclennan, Jamie Wilson (Stephen Foster 85’), Struan MacArthur (Kieran Chalmers 82’), Keir Smith (Aidan Wilson 75’), Andrew MacRae, Sam Robertson

Subs: Lewis Hendry,

Subs: Smith 50’